Capture Fugitive Principal Of Sex With Student
A former Brooklyn public elementary school principal sentenced in 2004 in absentia for molesting a young relative, was extradited to Queens from Connecticut last Wednesday, Dec. 9, arraigned on bail jumping charges and will soon to begin his 20-year prison sentence, it was announced.
Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said Leroy Johnson, 46, formerly of Meyer Avenue in Jamaica, skipped out on $100,000 bail after pleading guilty in November 2004. Federal authorities apprehended him in Connecticut in April after he fraudulently attempted to obtain a social security card using an alias.
Residing in New Haven under the name Desmond Williams, law enforcement sources said, Johnson was busted after he attempted to get a Social Security card under another assumed name, Jayden Gibson. Authorities reportedly became suspicious when Johnson provided Social Security personnel with a birth certificate for an individual who is deceased and a Social Security number which is assigned to an individual in Chicago.
A fingerprint check following his arrest determined that “Gibson’s true identity was the fugitive Johnson.
“The defendant was convicted of having betrayed the trust of a young girl and having stolen her childhood when he engaged in sexual relations with her,” Brown said. “By jumping bail and going on the run for five years, all he managed to accomplish was to postpone the starting date of his imprisonment. Beyond that, he incurred additional prison time for his crime for failing to show up for sentencing and now faces the possibility of additional time on the bail jumping charge.”
According to the charges in the underlying case, Johnson—who was principal of P.S. 25 in Brooklyn from 2000 to 2003—engaged in a course of sexual conduct at his residence with the young girl between September 1998 and July 1, 2003. This included almost weekly sexual intercourse and other sex acts from the time that she was nine until she was 14 years of age.
Following his arrest in Connecticut earlier this year, Johnson appeared on June 8 in U.S. District Court in Bridgeport, and pleaded guilty to making false statements to the Social Security Administration. He was sentenced Dec. 9 by U.S. District Court Judge Stefan R. Underhill to approximately seven months in prison (time served). Following the sentencing, he was remanded into the custody of detectives assigned to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.
Johnson was arraigned last Wednesday afternoon before Acting Supreme Court Justice James Griffin on a charge of first-degree bail jumping before being remanded into custody. He is to next appear for execution of his 20-year sentence and proceedings on the bail jumping indictment on Jan. 5, 2010.
District Attorney Brown expressed his sincere appreciation to the Social Security Administration, Office of Inspector General, and to the Office of United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut Nora R. Dannehy for their assistance and cooperation in the matter.
Senior Assistant District Attorney Eric C. Rosenbaum, Chief of the District Attorney’s DNA Prosecutions Unit of the Special Victims Bureau prosecuted the case under the supervision of Assistant District Attorneys Marjory D. Fisher, bureau chief, and Kenneth M. Appelbaum and Lucinda C. Suarez, deputy bureau chiefs, and the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney for Major Crimes Charles A. Testagrossa and Deputy Executive Assistant District Attorney Daniel A. Saunders.