TRANSIT NEWS and Updates
Metropolitan Transportation Authority
All MTA New York City Transit buses and subway lines and all MTA Bus Company buses will operate on a Sunday schedule on Christmas Day, Tuesday, Dec. 25. Riders are advised to plan their trips accordingly.
Extra LIRR Trains For Christmas Break
MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) announced that it will add 10 additional eastbound trains out of Penn Station on Friday, Dec. 21, and Monday, Dec. 24, for those wanting to get an early start to their Christmas holiday.
The additional service will begin at 12:46 p.m. and conclude at 3:48 p.m. both days. Among the additional trains are the following:
• a 12:46 p.m. train and a 1:38 p.m. train on the Ronkonkoma branch that will stop at Woodside, Jamaica, Mineola and Hicksville, then make all stops to Ronkonkoma;
• a 2:29 p.m. train on the Port Jefferson branch that will stop at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica and New Hyde Park, then make all stops to Huntington;
• a 3 p.m. train on the Babylon branch stopping at Jamaica and Rockville Centre, then making all stops to Babylon; and
• a 3:40 p.m. train on the Port Washington branch that will stop at Woodside and Flushing-Main Street, then make all stops to Port Washington.
Additionally, the LIRR will run additional trains over the next two weekends, Dec. 22-23 and Dec. 29- 30, between New York City and points east. Furthermore, beginning with the afternoon rush hour on Christmas Eve Monday, the LIRR will kick off its annual Family Fare Program during off-peak and PM peak hours each day through New Year’s Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1.
Family Fare allows adults to bring as many as four children from ages five to 11 to ride for an advanced fare purchase of 75 cents each child each way. Children under five ride for free at all times on the LIRR.
Standard fares remain in effect during AM peak hours.
All LIRR trains will operate on a holiday train schedule on Christmas Day, Tuesday, Dec. 25, then return to a normal weekday schedule on Wednesday, Dec. 25.
For additional information, call 511 or visit www.mta.info/lirr.
The MTA has scheduled a number of service changes for several subway lines throughout the city due to construction work.
These service advisories are current as of Wednesday, Dec. 19. Last minute changes to service and operating schedules may be made due to weather-related conditions or emergency repairs. Check www.mta.info for schedule changes.
Rail lines which run through the area that will be affected include the following:
Weekday Express On J Line In Brooklyn
Jamaica Center-bound J trains will run express service between Myrtle Avenue and Broadway Junction on Thursday, Dec. 20, Friday, Dec. 21, and between Wednesday, Dec. 26, through Friday, Dec. 28, from 9:45 a.m. until 3 p.m.
For service to the Kosciuszko Street, Gates Avenue, Halsey Street and Chauncey Street stations, take the J train to Broadway Junction, then transfer to a Manhattan-bound J train. For service from these stations, take the J train to Myrtle Avenue, then transfer to a Jamaica Center-bound J train.
Hurricane Sandy Service Changes
• Until further notice, there is no service on the A line south of the Howard Beach station to the Rockaways and on the Rockaway Park Shuttle.
Riders can use a free shuttle bus between Howard Beach and Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue. There is also a free H train shuttle operating between Far Rockaway and Beach 90th Street. Stations west of Beach 90th Street remain closed.
The H train operates every 15 minutes every day; the line is closed between 1 and 4 a.m. every morning for maintenance.
For service between Beach 90th Street and Rockaway Park-Beach 116th Streets, transfer to the Q22 bus line, which makes nearby stops.
• The MTA has expanded service on the Q52 limited line between Woodside and the Rockaways in order to increase rush-hour access to the A train in Ozone Park.
Reportedly, service time has been doubled during peak rush hours on the Q52, which terminates in the Arverne section of the Rockaways. Q52 buses will run ever six minutes during peak rush hours and every 7 1/2 minutes during non-rush hour periods on weekdays.
The Q52 primarily runs on Woodhaven and Cross Bay boulevards and stops at Liberty Avenue, close to the Rockaway Boulevard A train station.
• R trains will resume full operation between 71st-Continental Avenues and Bay Ridge-95th Street in Brooklyn tomorrow, Friday, Dec. 21. The train had not been running between lower Manhattan and Brooklyn as a result of flooding in a tunnel below the East River caused by Hurricane Sandy.
For a complete list of service changes and last-minute updates, visit the MTA’s website at www.mta.info or call 511.