Login Get News Updates
For local news delivered via email enter address here:
Profile Subscriptions Mobile Tablet
Crime & Cases December 28, 2012  RSS feed


Fla. Duo Booked For 2004 Ridgewood Murder
by Robert Pozarycki

Two former Ridgewood residents recently made a return trip to Queens in handcuffs for their alleged roles in the August 2004 murder of two gang members whose bodies were dumped behind a neighborhood factory, law enforcement sources announced.

Florida residents Stephanie Cabral, 28, of Riverview and Arthur Sullivan, 33, of Tampa were extradited to New York and officially booked on Dec. 13 by the 104th Precinct Detective Squad on homicide charges. They were reportedly transferred into federal custody.

Cabral and Sullivan are the latest individuals to be charged with the slayings of Anthony Marcano and Fabian Mestres, both 17-year-olds who resided in Central Islip and reputed members of the Latin Kings.

Marcano and Mestres’ bodies were found bound in duct tape near a warehouse located in the vicinity of Seneca and Flushing avenues on Aug. 11, 2004. Law enforcement sources stated that the two were fatally shot in the head the previous day at an undetermined location.

Three reputed rival gangsters accused of the double homicide—Luis (a.k.a. Lae) Benitez, Alvaro (a.k.a. Boobie) Cabral and Jason (a.k.a. JLive) Cabral—were arrested on May 22 of this year and are awaiting trial on murder charges.

According to law enforcement sources, Jason Cabral allegedly carried out the plot to rob and kill Mar- cano and Mestres on Aug. 10, 2004. He reportedly lured them to a meeting a home in Brentwood, L.I.

When Marcano and Mestres arrived at the location, prosecutors noted, they were bound with duct tape and robbed of property including cash, drugs and jewelry.

Reportedly, they were then stuffed into the trunk of a car and driven to an undisclosed location.

Upon arriving at that location, federal agents noted, Benitez allegedly shot both teenagers in the head with a shotgun. The suspects involved in the plot reportedly transported the bodies to the Ridgewood warehouse later.

The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Eastern District of New York. The investigation is ongoing.